Article reprinted from Aerospace Defense Command publication, The Interceptor, January 1979 (Volume 21, Number 1)

Air Defense of the Continental United States had its beginning when Major General Hap Arnold recommended an Air Defense Command Unit composed of Air Corps, Coast Guard Artillery, and Signal Corps be formed. On 26 February 1950 the unit was officially activated at Mitchell Field under the command of Brig Gen. James E. Chaney, an Air Corps officer. Although the command was deactivated fourteen months later, it provided the ground work for the future Air Defense Command.

On March 1946, Air Defense Command was organized as a major command, and on 1 December 1946 was placed under Continental Air Command. On 1 July 1950 ADC was discontinued; however, it was reactivated as a major command again on 1 January 1951. Air Defense Command was redesignated Aerospace Defense Command on 15 January 1968, and on 31 July 1975 it became a specified command under NORAD and JCS control.

During the 30-plus years of its existence the command has undergone many changes. One thing has not changed though; the men and women of the Command have provided the country with a continual shield against air attack. Starting with detection and warning and ending with the interceptors and aircrews standing alert to launch at a moment’s notice.

In this issue of the magazine we have included an historic, and possibly nostalgic, sketch of the command by including brief histories of all (93 to be exact) the fighter interceptor squadrons assigned to the command as its alert force. These are just the active Air Force Squadrons that have been in the command. Time and space did not allow us to include the 76 Air National Guard Squadrons, several Naval Squadrons, radar squadrons, training squadrons and numerous support units that have played important roles in our nation’s defense.

For brevity we have omitted some actions that affected all the squadrons in the command at that time. They are: 11 June 1948 when the P designation of all fighter aircraft was changed to F; 20 January 1948 when Fighter Squadrons became Fighter Interceptor Squadrons; and 18 August 1955 when a number of changes in unit designations took place under “Project Arrow.” This restored many squadrons to the wings and groups to which they had belonged during World War II.

We hope the histories on the following pages will bring back some memories to the Old Heads and show the young troops what life in ADCOM was like a few years back.


2d Fighter-Interceptor Squadron

In June 1947 the 2d FIS was transferred from USAFE to ADC. The unit was based at Mitchell Field and flew P-61s. In June 1948 it traded in its P-61s for F-82 Twin Mustangs. In the fall of 1949 the 2d FIS moved to McGuire AFB and transitioned into jets -F-86s. A year later in 1950 the unit traded in its 86s for F-94s which it flew for two years. In the fall of 1952 the unit transitioned into F-84Gs followed by another change into F-86Ds during the summer of 1953. In August of 1955 the 2d FIS designation was moved to Suffolk County AFB where in January 1957 it transitioned into F-102As. In August 1959 the unit transitioned into F-l0lBs which it kept until inactivation in December of 1969. The 2d FIS was reactivated in July 1971 at Wurtsmith AFB, flying the 94th FIS F-106As when that unit designation was transferred to TAC. The 2d FIS was deactivated on 31 March 1973. The Combat Crew Training Squadron at Tyndall AFB picked up the unit insignia changing it slightly to the 2d FITS in 1974.

5th Fighter-Interceptor Squadron

In June 1947 the 5th FIS was transferred (along with the 2d FIS) from USAFE to ADC at Mitchell Field flying P-61s. In June 1948 the unit transitioned into F-82s. In the fall of 1949 the unit moved to McGuire AFB. In August of 1955 the 5th FIS designation was transferred to Suffolk County AFB. In the spring of 1957 the unit transitioned into F-102As. In February 1960 the 5th FIS moved to Minot AFB and transitioned into the F-106A. They are still here today.

11th Fighter-Interceptor Squadron

The 11th FIS was activated at Duluth IAP with F-51Ds in December 1952, replacing the Minnesota ANG’s 179th FIS. In the fall of 1953 the unit transitioned into F-86Ds. In June 1960 the 11th FIS transitioned into F-106As which it flew until September 1968 when it was redesignated the 87th FIS. This resulted in retirement of the 11th FIS insignia.

13th Fighter-Interceptor Squadron

The 13th FIS was activated in April 1953 at Selfridge AFB. It was some six months later when it received its first aircraft -the F-86D. The 13th FIS designation was moved to Sioux City Airport in August 1955 and transitioned into F-86Ls in the fall of 1957. In July 1959 the 13th FIS moved to Glasgow AFB, transitioned into F-101B’s, and remained there until deactivation on 30 June 1968.

14th Fighter-Interceptor Squadron

The 14th FIS was activated at Sioux City Airport in November 1953 with F-86Ds. In the fall of 1957 the 14th FIS transitioned into F-86Ls which it flew until its deactivation on 1 April 1960.

15th Fighter-Interceptor Squadron

In April 1953 the 15th FIS was activated at Davis-Monthan AFB with F-86As. A year later the unit transitioned into F-86Ds followed by a transition to F-86Ls in the fall of 1957. In the spring of 1959 the unit received F-89J interceptors which it flew for only a year when it transitioned into F-101Bs. On 24 December 1964 the 15th FIS was deactivated.

18th Fighter-Interceptor Squadron

Activated in December 1952, the 18th FIS replaced the Minnesota ANG’s 109th FIS at Minneapolis-St. Paul Airport in F-51 Ds. In the spring of 1953 the unit transitioned into F-86As followed by another change to F-86Fs later the same year. The 86s were short-lived in the squadron, however, when in the spring of 1954, it obtained F-89Ds. In the fall of 1954 the unit moved to Alaska under control of AAC. The 18th FIS transferred back to ADC in August 1953 when it moved to Wurtsmith AFB and received F-102As at the same time. In May 1960 the squadron moved to Grand Forks AFB transitioning into F-101Bs. It remained there until its deactivation on 15 April 1971.

27th Fighter-Interceptor Squadron

The 27th FIS was originally transferred to ADC from SAC with F-80s in December 1948. However, the squadron went back under SAC four months later in May 1949. In April 1950 the 27th FIS was again transferred to ADC, still at March AFB, but with new F-86A aircraft. In July 1950 the squadron moved to George AFB for a brief one month when it again moved in August 1950 across the county to Griffiss AFB. In August 1952 the squadron began transitioning into F-89Cs; however, the change was never completed. It continued flying F-86As until the spring of 1954 when a transition into F-94Cs was completed. In the fall of 1957 the unit transitioned into F-102As. Two years later in the fall of 1959 the squadron moved to Loring AFB and began flying F-106As. On 11July 1971 the 27th FIS designation was transferred to TAC as the 27th TFS.

29th Fighter-Interceptor Squadron

The 29th FIS was activated at Great Falls AFB (later named Malmstrom AFB) in November 1953 with F-94C aircraft. In May 1957 the squadron transitioned into F-89Hs and a year later into F-89Js. In June 1960 the 29th FIS received F-101Bs which were flown until the squadron was deactivated on 27 April 1968.

31st Fighter-Interceptor Squadron

The 31st FIS was activated at Larson AFB with F-86Ds in April 1953. Two-and-a-half years later in August 1955, the squadron was deactivated. In June 1956 the squadron was reactivated at Wurtsmith AFB to fly F-102A aircraft. A little over a year later on 20 August 1957, the 31st FIS moved to Alaska and transferred from ADC to AAC.

37th Fighter-Interceptor Squadron

The 37th FIS was first activated under ADC at Dow Field with P-47Ds in November 1946. The squadron transitioned into P-84Bs in October 1947 which were flown until deactivation in October 1949. The squadron was reactivated in November 1952 at Burlington Airport with F-51Ds, replacing the 134th FIS Vermont ANG. In February 1953 the unit’s home was named Ethan Allen AFB along with a transition into jet F-86D aircraft. In the fall of 1952 the 37th FIS transitioned into F-102As which were flown until deactivation on 1 May 1960.

42d Fighter-Interceptor Squadron

The 42d FIS was activated in February 1953 at O’Hare Airport with F-86Ds. In August 1955 the unit designation was transferred to Greater Pittsburgh Airport. The squadron transitioned into F-86Ls in the spring of 1957 which were flown until deactivation on 1 July 1958.

45th Fighter-Interceptor Squadron

The 45th FIS, activated in November 1952 at Suffolk County AFB, replaced the 118th FIS of the Connecticut ANG. It had a fairly short ADC commitment as the squadron was transferred to USAFE on 25 May 1953 while transitioning from F-47Ns to F-86Fs.

46th Fighter-Interceptor Squadron

The 46th FIS was activated in November 1952 at Dover AFB with F-94Bs, replacing the Pennsylvania ANG’s 148th FIS. Shortly thereafter in April 1953, it received F-94Cs which were flown until deactivation on 1 July 1958.

47th Fighter-Interceptor Squadron

Activated in December 1952 at Niagara Falls Airport, the 47th FIS replaced the 136th FIS of the New York ANG flying F-47s. During 1953 the squadron transitioned into F-86Fs and Ds. In the spring of 1957 the unit received F-86Ls which were traded a year later in 1958 for F-102As. The Deuces were flown until deactivation on 1 July 1960.

48th Fighter-Interceptor Squadron

The 48th FIS was activated at Dow Field in November 1946 with P-47s. In October 1947 a transition into P-84Bs was completed. These were flown until the unit was temporarily deactivated on 2 October 1949. The 48th FIS was reactivated in November 1952 at Grenier AFB with F-47s, replacing the New Hampshire ANG’s 133d FIS. A relocation to Langley AFB was completed in early 1953 along with a transition into F-84Gs and then F-94Cs in the fall of 1953. In the summer of 1957 the squadron completed a transition into F-102As followed by another in the fall of 1960 to F-106As. The 48th FIS can still be found at Langley with F-106s.

49th Fighter-Interceptor Squadron

The 49th FIS was activated at Dow Field in November 1946 with P-47s. In October 1947 a transition into P-84Bs was made which were flown until temporary deactivation on 2 October 1949. The squadron was reactivated in November 1952, still at Dow but with F-80s. It replaced the 132d FIS of the Maine ANG. In the spring of 1953 the unit transitioned into F-86Fs and a year later into F-86Ds. In November 1955 a move to L.G. Hanscom Field was completed followed by a transition to F-86Ls in October 1956. In July 1959 the squadron moved to Griffiss AFB, picking up the F-89Js of the 465th FIS which was moved to L.G. Hanscom Field. The two units traded places. The move was followed by a transition, into F-101Bs in November 1959. These were flown until deactivation on 5 July 1968. However, in September 1968, the 438th FIS at Griffiss, flying F-106As, was redesignated the 49th FIS. The 49th is still at Griffiss flying F-106A interceptors.

54th Fighter-Interceptor Squadron

The 54th FIS was activated at Rapid City AFB (later named Ellsworth AFB) with F-51Ds, replacing the South Dakota ANG’s 175th FIS. The F-51s were traded in for F-84Gs upon activation and in the spring of 1954 a transition into F-86Ds was completed. In the fall of 1957 another transition, this time to F-89Js, was completed. The 54th FIS continued flying the F-89s until deactivation on 25 December 1960.

56th Fighter-Interceptor Squadron

The 56th FIS was activated at Selfridge AFB in November 1952. In 1953 the unit began flying F-86Fs and later F-86Ds. In August 1955 the unit designation was transferred to Wright-Patterson AFB. In the spring of 1957 the 86Ds were exchanged for F-86Ls. This was followed a year later with a transition to F-104As in May 1958. The 56th FIS was deactivated on 1 March 1960.

57th Fighter-Interceptor Squadron

The 57th FIS was activated at Presque Isle AFB in March 1953 with F-89Cs. In November 1954 the squadron moved to Keflavik, Iceland, and was transferred to MATS, but in July 1962 the 57th FIS once again became an ADC unit flying F-102As. In April 1973 the Deuces were traded in for F-4Cs. The 57th FIS completed a conversion to F-4Es in the summer of 1978.

58th Fighter-Interceptor Squadron

In December 1948 the 58th FIS was transferred from SAC to ADC at Otis AFB with F-84Bs. In the summer of 1950 a conversion to F-86As was completed. A transition to F-94Bs was completed in the spring of 1952 followed by a change to F-94Cs a year later. The 94s were replaced by F-89Ds in 1955 and subsequently Hs and Js in 1956 and 1957. In August 1959 the squadron moved to Walker AFB and was deactivated there on 25 December 1960.

59th Fighter-Interceptor Squadron

The 59th FIS was transferred from SAC to ADC in December 1948 at Otis AFB with F-84Bs. In the fall of 1950 the unit began a transition to F-86As which were replaced later in the year by F-94As and Bs. The squadron was transferred to the control of the North East Air Command in October 1952 with a move to Goose Bay, Labrador. In April 1957 the 59th was once again placed under ADC control with F-89Ds and Js. A transition to F-102As was completed in the summer of 1960. On 1 January 1967 the unit was transferred on paper to Bergstrom AFB to be deactivated on 2 January. In September 1968 the 322d FIS at Kingsley Field was redesignated as the 59th FIS flying F-10lBs. On 17 December 1969 final deactivation of the 59th FIS occurred.

60th Fighter-Interceptor Squadron

The 60h FIS was transferred from SAC to ADC in December 1948 at Otis AFB with F-84Bs. In August 1950 the squadron moved to Westover AFB and transitioned to F-86As. Transition to F-86Es occurred in the fall of 1951 with another to F-86Ds in the spring of 1953. In August of 1955 the 60th FIS unit designation was transferred to Otis AFB and F-94Cs were picked up. The 60th FIS was the first operational squadron to begin transition into F-101Bs in January 1959. On 30 April 1971 the unit was deactivated.

61st Fighter-Interceptor Squadron

The 61st FIS was transferred from SAC to ADC in December 1948 at Selfridge AFB with F-80s. The squadron transitioned to F-86As in the fall of 1949 and to F-94Bs in the fall of 1950. In July 1953 control of the unit was transferred to North East Air Command with a move to Ernest Harmon Air Base, Newfoundland. The unit flying F-89Ds was transferred back to ADC in April 1957. In October the squadron moved to Truax Field and transitioned to F-102As. On 25 July 1960 the 61st FIS was deactivated.

62d Fighter-Interceptor Squadron

The 62d FIS was transferred from SAC to ADC at Selfridge AFB with F-80 aircraft in December 1948. In the fall of 1949 the unit transitioned to F-86A aircraft. This was followed by a move in August 1950 to O’Hare Airport. In the spring of 1953 the squadron received F-86Ds and in the fall of 1956 F-86Ls. In August 1959 the 62d moved to K.I. Sawyer AFB and transitioned into F-101Bs. It remained there with F-101s until deactivation on 30 April 1971.

63d Fighter-Interceptor Squadron

The 63d FIS was transferred from SAC to ADC with F-80s at Selfridge AFB in December 1948. In the fall of 1949 the squadron transitioned into F-86As and moved to Oscoda AFB (later named Wurtsmith AFB) in January 1951. In the later part of 1952 the unit received F-86Fs and in May 1954, F-86Ds. The squadron soon made another transition into F89Ds in the spring of 1955. In August of 1955 the 63d FIS designation was transferred to a unit at O’Hare Airport flying F-86Ds. In the spring of 1957 the 63d FIS received F-86L aircraft which were flown until deactivation on 8 January 1958.

64th Fighter-Interceptor Squadron

The 64th FIS was transferred from AAC to ADC with F-102As at McChord AFB in August 1957. In March 1960 the squadron moved to Paine Field where it remained until 2 June 1966 when, with Aerial Refueling, it deployed to Clark Air Base, Philippines, and was reassigned to PACAF.

65th Fighter-Interceptor Squadron

The 65th FIS was one of ADC’s short-lived squadrons. It was transferred from AAC to ADC at Richards-Gebaur AFB in November 1957; however, it was deactivated on 8 January 1958 before it received equipment or personnel.

66th Fighter-Interceptor Squadron

The 66th FIS was transferred from AAC to ADC at Oxnard AFB in December 1957; however, like the 65th FIS, it was deactivated on 8 January 1958 without ever receiving equipment or personnel.

71st Fighter-Interceptor Squadron

The 71st FIS was transferred from SAC to ADC with F-80 aircraft at March AFB in December 1948. In May 1949 it went back to SAC for a year until its transfer to ADC again in April 1950 with F-86As. The squadron made three quick moves to George AFB, Griffiss AFB, and, finally, to Greater Pittsburgh Airport in October 1950. In 1953 the unit received F-86D aircraft, and in August 1955 the 71st designation was transferred to Selfridge AFB. In the spring of 1957 the F-86Ds were traded for F-86Ls but, shortly thereafter, in the fall of 1958, the squadron transitioned into F-102As. Two years later in October 1960 a transition into F-106As took place. In January 1967 the unit moved to Richards-Gebaur AFB but soon moved again in June 1968 to Malmstrom AFB. It remained at Malmstrom with F-106s until deactivation on 1 July 1971 at which time the 71st designation was transferred to TAC.

74th Fighter-Interceptor Squadron

In January 1951 the 74th FIS was activated at Presque Isle AFS with F-86As and Es. In June 1952 a conversion to F-89Cs was begun; however, due to aircraft problems, some F-94Bs were used for alert until the spring of 1953. The squadron moved to Thule Air Base, Greenland, under the North East Air Command in August 1954. In April 1957 control of the squadron now flying F-89Ds was transferred back to ADC, but it was soon deactivated on 25 June 1958.

75th Fighter-Interceptor Squadron

The 75th FIS was activated in January 1951 with F-86A and E aircraft at Presque Isle AFB. In October 1952 the unit moved to Suffolk County AFB and a year later in the fall of 1953 converted to F-86Ds. In August 1955 the 75th FIS designation was transferred back to Presque Isle AFS and received F-89D aircraft. In the spring of 1957 the F-89Ds were replaced with F-89Hs. The squadron moved to Dow AFB in June 1959 and transitioned into F-101Bs. The unit was deactivated at Dow in June 1968; however, in September, it was reactivated, still with F-101s, at Wurtsmith AFB. Final deactivation of the 75th FIS took place on 30 November 1969.

76th Fighter-Interceptor Squadron

The 76th FIS was activated in August 1955 at Presque Isle AFB with F-89D aircraft. In November 1957 it moved to Pine Castle AFB and converted to F-89Hs. A conversion to F-89Js took place in June 1959 followed by another move to Westover AFB in February 1961. The squadron transitioned into F-102As in April 1961. The 76th FIS was deactivated on 1 July 1963.

82d Fighter-Interceptor Squadron

The 82d FIS was transferred from USAFE to ADC at Mitchell Field without personnel or aircraft in June 1947. In November 1948 it was transferred to Hamilton AFB with F-51D aircraft which were replaced in December 1948 with F-84Bs. In the fall of 1950 the F-84Bs were exchanged for F-84Ds. In February 1952 the unit moved to Larson AFB and received F-94Bs. The squadron moved to Keflavik, Iceland, and MATS control in April 1953. In October 1954 the unit was transferred back to ADC at Presque Isle AFB with F-89Ds. In August 1955 the 82d FIS designation was transferred to an F-86D unit at Travis AFB. The squadron transitioned into F-102As in August 1957. It was the first F-102 unit to become aerial refueling capable and deployed to Naha Air Bass, Okinawa, in February 1966. On 25 June 1966 control of the 82d FIS was transferred from ADC to PACAF.

83d Fighter-Interceptor Squadron

The 83d FIS was transferred from USAFE to ADC in June 1947 at Mitchell Field. Prior to being equipped, it was transferred to Hamilton AFB where it received F-51Ds and F-84Bs. In the fall of 1950 it received F-84Ds and in August 1951 it transitioned into F-89Bs. In July 1952 the squadron moved to Paine Field and received F-86Ds. In August 1955 the 83d FIS designation was transferred to Hamilton AFB to another F-86D squadron. In December 1957 the 83d FIS received F-104As to become the first operational 104 squadron in ADC. In July 1960 the F-104s were replaced by F-l0lBs and in July 1960 the squadron was deactivated. It was reactivated at Loring AFB in July 1971 replacing the 27th FIS with F-106As. The 83d FIS was deactivated on 27 June 1972.

84th Fighter-Interceptor Squadron

The 84th FIS was transferred from USAFE to ADC in June 1947 at Mitchell Field without personnel or equipment. In November 1948 it was transferred to Hamilton AFB and equipped with F-51Ds but began a transition into F-84Bs the following month. In the fall of 1950 it received F-84Ds and in early 1951, F-89As. Transitions into F-89Bs and F-86Fs were accomplished in the summer of 1951 and fall of 1952, respectively. In 1953 the squadron received F-94Bs and Cs but in 1955 these were replaced by F-89Ds. The F-89Ds were replaced by F-89Hs in 1956 and these, in turn, by F-89Js in 1957. In March of 1959 the squadron transitioned into F-101Bs which were flown until deactivation in July 1968. The 84th was reactivated in September 1968 still at Hamilton but with 498th FIS F-106As. In September 1973 the 84th moved to Castle AFB where it’s located today with F-106A interceptors.

85th Fighter-Interceptor Squadron

The 85th FIS was activated at Scott AFB in November 1952 with F-51Ds and Hs. It replaced the 113th FIS of the Indiana ANG. In the fall of 1953 it transitioned into F-86D aircraft and in August 1957 into F-86Ls. The 85th FIS was deactivated on 1 July 1959.

86th Fighter-Interceptor Squadron

The 86th FIS was activated at Youngstown Airport in November 1952 with F-84Cs. It replaced the 166th FIS of the Ohio ANG. In 1953 it received F-86Ds. The squadron transitioned into F-102As in 1957. The deuces were flown until deactivation on 1 March 1960.

87th Fighter-Interceptor Squadron

The 87th FIS was activated in November 1952 at Sioux City Airport. It replaced the Indiana ANG’s 163d FIS with F-51D aircraft. In the fall of 1953 it transitioned into F-86Ds. In December 1954 the, unit transferred to USAFE. The squadron was transferred back to ADC at Lockbourne AFB in April 1956, again with F-86Ds, and subsequently Ls a year later. The squadron transitioned into F-102As in late 1958. In June 1960 the F-102s were exchanged for F-101Bs. In July 1968 the 87th was deactivated at Lockbourne; however, in September 1968 the 11th FIS at Duluth Airport with F-106AS was redesignated the 87th FIS. In May 1971 the 87th FIS moved to K.I. Sawyer AFB where it remains today.

91st Fighter-Interceptor Squadron

The 91st FIS was activated in ADC at Kirtland AFB in June 1949 with F-80s; however, by the end of the year a transition to F-86As was begun. In May 1950 the unit moved to Larson AFB and on 22 August 1951 it was transferred to USAFE.

92d Fighter-Interceptor Squadron

The 92d FIS, activated at Kirtland AFB in June 1949, closely paralleled the 91st FIS. The unit transitioned from F-80s to F-86As in 1949. It moved to Larson AFB in April 1950 and on 22 August 1951 transferred to USAFE.

93d Fighter-Interceptor Squadron

In June of 1949 the 93d FIS was assigned to ADC at Kirtland AFB with F-80 aircraft. Later that year it transitioned into F-86As. In 1953 it received F-86Fs and Ds. In the summer of 1957 it transitioned into F-86Ls which were flown until deactivation on 8 July 1960.

94th Fighter-Interceptor Squadron

The 94th FIS was transferred to ADC from SAC in December 1948 at March AFB with F-80 aircraft. In May of 1949 it was transferred back to SAC but in April 1950 it was brought back to ADC control with F-86As. Later in the year it moved to George AFB. In February 1953 the squadron transitioned into F-86Ds. The unit designation was transferred to Selfridge AFB in August 1955. In the fall of 1956 the unit received F-86Ls which were flown until April 1960 when it transitioned into F-106As. In December 1969 a move was made to Wurtsmith AFB where the 94th FIS was deactivated and the unit designation was transferred to TAC.

95th Fighter-Interceptor Squadron

The 95th FIS was transferred from SAC to ADC at Grenier AFS in August 1949 with F-51Ds. It was, however, deactivated two months later in October. In November 1952 the 95th FIS was reactivated at Andrews AFB with F-94Bs, replacing the 121st FIS of the District of Columbia ANG. In 1953 it transitioned into F-86Ds and subsequently into F-86Ls in April 1957. In February 1958 the squadron received F-102As. It transitioned into F-106As in July 1959 and moved to Dover AFS in July 1963. On 31 January 1973 the squadron was deactivated; however, the unit designation was reactivated at Tyndall AFB in September 1974 when the T-33 Flying Training Squadron was redesignated the 95th FITS.

96th Fighter-Interceptor Squadron

The 96th FIS was transferred to ADC from SAC at Grenier AFB in August 1947 with F-51Ds, only to be deactivated in October. The squadron was reactivated at Newcastle County Airport in November 1952, replacing the 142d FIS of the Delaware ANG with F-94Bs. In July 1953 a transition into F-94Cs was completed which were flown until deactivation on 1 December 1957.

97th Fighter-Interceptor Squadron

The 97th FIS was transferred from SAC to ADC at Grenier AFB in August 1949 with F-51Ds. It was deactivated in October 1949, only to be reactivated in December 1950 at Wright-Patterson AFB with F-86As. In 1952 a transition into F-86Es was completed followed by another into F-86Ds in 1953. The unit designation was transferred to Newcastle County Airport in August 1955 to an F-94C equipped unit. On 1 December 1957 the squadron was deactivated.

98th Fighter-Interceptor Squadron

The 98th FIS was activated in March 1956 at Dover AFB with F-89Ds. In 1957 it received F-89Hs and Js. A transition into F-101Bs was completed in the summer of 1959 and in July 1963 the unit moved to Suffolk County AFB. On 30 September 1968 the squadron was deactivated.

317th Fighter-Interceptor Squadron

The 317th FIS was activated in August 1947 at McChord Field with P-61 aircraft. In November 1947 the squadron moved to Hamilton Field and the following spring of 1948 transitioned into P-82s. The squadron moved to Moses Lake AFB in November 1948 and back to McChord AFS in April 1950. In the fall of 1950 the squadron transitioned into F-94As and in December 1956 into F-102As. On 1 August 1957 the 317th FIS was transferred to Alaska under AAC.

318th Fighter-Interceptor Squadron

The 318th FIS was activated in May 1947 at Mitchell Field. In December 1947 it was transferred to Hamilton Field where it received its first aircraft, P-61s. In the spring of 1948 the squadron received P-82s and in November 1948 moved to McChord AFB. In the fall of 1950 the squadron transitioned into F-94As. In June 1953 the squadron moved to Thule Air Base, Greenland, under control of the North East Air Command. The squadron came back under ADC in August 1954 when it was moved from Thule to Presque Isle AFB with F-89Ds. In August 1955 the squadron moved to McChord AFB and transitioned into F-86Ds. In March 1957 the squadron began a transition into F-102As and three years later in March 1960 into F-106As. The 318th is still located at McChord flying F-106s.

319th Fighter-Interceptor Squadron

The 319th FIS was assigned to ADC in May 1949 after it moved from the Canal Zone to McChord AFB. It received F-82 aircraft and in September 1949 moved to Larson AFB. In the fall of 1950 the squadron transitioned into F-94As and in February 1952 moved to Suwon Air Bass, Korea, under the Far East Air Force. In November 1955 the squadron returned to CONUS and ADC at Bunker Hill AFB and in March 1956 received F-94Cs. The squadron transitioned into F-89Js in the fall of 1957 and in February 1960 into F-106As. In March 1963 it moved to Homestead AFB where it flew F-104As. In December 1969 it was deactivated, ADC’s last F-104 unit. In July 1971 the squadron was reactivated at Malmstrom AFB, replacing the 71stFIS with F-106s. Shortly thereafter on 30 April 1972, the squadron was deactivated.

321st Fighter-Interceptor Squadron

The 321st FIS was activated at Paine Field in August 1955 with F-89Ds. In the spring of 1956 it transitioned into F-89Hs and a year later into F-89Js. On 1 March 1960 the squadron was deactivated.

322d Fighter-Interceptor Squadron

The 322d FIS was activated in August 1955 at Larson AFB with F-86D aircraft. In the spring of 1957 the unit transitioned into F-86Ls. In April 1959 the 322d moved to Kingsley Field and received F-10lBs. The squadron was deactivated on 30 September 1968.

323d Fighter-Interceptor Squadron

In November 1952 the 323d FIS was activated at Larson AFB. It was not until the following spring of 1953 that it received aircraft, F-86Ds. In August 1955 the unit designation was transferred to Truax Field and in the fall of 1956 it transitioned into F-102As. In October 1957 the squadron moved to Ernest Harmon AFB where it was deactivated on 1 July 1960.

324th Fighter-Interceptor Squadron

The 324th FIS was activated at Westover AFB in October 1955 with F-86Ds. In the fall of 1957 it received F-86Ls and on 25 June 1958 it transferred to USAFE.

325th Fighter-Interceptor Squadron

The 325th FIS was activated at Travis AFB in April 1953 with F-86Es. In February 1954 the squadron moved to Hamilton AFB and later transitioned into F-86Ds. In August 1955 the unit designation was transferred to Truax Field. A transition into F-102As was completed in the spring of 1957. On 25 June 1966 the squadron was deactivated.

326th Fighter-Interceptor Squadron

In December 1953 the 326th FIS was activated at Fairfax Field without personnel or aircraft. It was relocated to Grandview AFB (later named Richards-Gebaur AFB) in March 1954 with F-86D aircraft. In May of 1957 the unit transitioned into F-102As which were flown until deactivation on 2 January 1967.

327th Fighter-Interceptor Squadron

The 327th FIS was activated in August 1955 at George AFB with F-86Ds. In April 1956 it began transitioning into F-1 02As to become the first operational Deuce squadron. The unit moved to Thule Air Base, Greenland, in July 1958 and was deactivated there on 25 March 1960.

329th Fighter-Interceptor Squadron

The 329th FIS was activated in August of 1955 at George AFB with F-86Ds. In the spring of 1957 it received F-86Ls and a year later transitioned into F-102As. In July 1960 the unit began flying F-106As. The 329th was deactivated on 31 July 1967.

330th Fighter-Interceptor Squadron

The 330th FIS was activated in November 1952 at Stewart AFB with F-80 aircraft. In the summer of 1953 it received F-86As and subsequently F-86Fs. It transitioned into F-86Ds in early 1955 and into F-86Ls in late 1956. On 1 July 1959 the squadron was deactivated.

331st Fighter-Interceptor Squadron

The 331st FIS was activated at Suffolk County AFB in February 1953 with F-51Ds. Shortly thereafter it received F-86Ds. In August 1955 the unit designation was transferred to Stewart AFB. In December 1956 the unit transitioned into F-86Ls and in August 1958 it moved to Webb AFB. A transition into F-102As was completed in early 1960 and another into F-104As in the spring of 1963. On 1 March 1967 the unit was deactivated.

332d Fighter-Interceptor Squadron

In March of 1953 the 332d FIS was activated at New Castle County Airport with F-94C aircraft. In August 1955 the unit designation was transferred to an F-86D unit at McGuire AFB. In November 1956 the squadron received F-86Ls and in July 1957 transitioned into F-102As. In July 1959 the unit moved to England AFB and in September 1960 to Thule Air Base, Greenland. It remained there until 1 July 1965 when it was deactivated.

334th Fighter-Interceptor Squadron

The 334th FIS was transferred to ADC from SAC in December 1948 with F-80 aircraft. It soon moved in May 1949 to Langley AFS and began transitioning into F-86As. In August of 1950 the squadron moved to New Castle County Airport and control was transferred from ADC to the Far East Air Force on 11 November 1950.

335th Fighter-Interceptor Squadron

The 335th FIS was transferred from SAC to ADC in December 1948 at Andrews AFB with F-80 aircraft. In May of 1949 it moved to Langley AFB and soon thereafter transitioned into F-86As. In August of 1950 the squadron moved back to Andrews AFB and on 11 November 1950 control was transferred to the Far East Air Force.

336th Fighter-Interceptor Squadron

The 336th FIS was transferred from SAC to ADC in December 1948 at Andrews AFB with F-80 aircraft. It moved to Langley AFB in May 1949 and received F-86As. In August 1950 it moved to Dover AFB and was transferred to the Far East Air Force on 11 November 1950.

337th Fighter-Interceptor Squadron

The 337th FIS was activated in July 1954 at Minneapolis-St. Paul Airport with F-89Ds. In August 1955 the unit designation was transferred to an F-86D unit at Westover AFB. It received F-86Ls in early 1957 and transitioned into F-104s in the spring of 1958. The squadron was deactivated an 8 July 1960.

354th Fighter-Interceptor Squadron

The 354th FIS was activated in November 1952 at Long Beach Municipal Airport, replacing the 188th FIS of the New Mexico ANG with F-51Ds. In December 1952 the unit moved to Oxnard AFB and transitioned into F-94Cs the following spring. In August of 1955 the unit designation was transferred to an F-86D until at McGhee Tyson Airport. The 354th received F-86Ls in the spring of 1957 but was deactivated shortly thereafter on 8 January 1958.

357th Fighter-Interceptor Squadron

The 357th FIS was activated in November 1952 at Portland Airport, replacing the 123d FIS of the Oregon ANG with F-86Fs. The squadron was transferred to USAFE shortly thereafter on 25 May 1953.

398th Fighter-Interceptor Squadron

The 398th FIS was activated in November 1956 at Hamilton AFB and scheduled to receive F-104s. Before personnel or equipment were in place, the unit was deactivated on 18 February 1957.

413th Fighter-Interceptor Squadron

The 413d FIS was activated in July 1954 at Travis AFS with F-86Ds. A year later on 18 August 1955 it was deactivated.

414th Night-Fighter Squadron

The 414th was transferred to ADC from TAC in March 1946 at March Field. Before personnel or equipment were in place, it was reassigned back to TAC on 31 July 1946.

425th Night-Fighter Squadron

The 425th was ADC’s first fully operational squadron. It was transferred from TAC to ADC on 21 March 1946 at March Field without personnel or equipment. On 1 September it was relocated to McChord Field, manned, and equipped with P-61s. Less than a year later on 25 August 1947, it was deactivated.

431st Fighter-Interceptor Squadron

The 431st FIS was activated at Selfridge AFB in November 1952, replacing the Michigan ANG 172d FIS with F-51Ds. In May 1953 the unit received F-86Fs, but was transferred to USAFE a month later on 22 June 1953.

432d Fighter-Interceptor Squadron

The 432d FIS was activated at Truax Field in November 1952 in F-86Fs, replacing the Wisconsin ANG’s 126th FIS. In the fall of 1953 the F-86Fs were replaced with F-86Ds. In August 1955 the unit designation was transferred to an F-89D squadron at Minneapolis-St. Paul Airport. The unit transitioned into F-89Hs in the spring of 1956 and was deactivated on 2 January 1958.

433d Fighter-Interceptor Squadron

The 433d FIS was activated in November 1952 at Truax Field with F-89Cs. It replaced the 176th FIS of the Wisconsin ANG. It began transitioning into F-94Bs the following spring but it was curtailed. In July 1954 the squadron moved to Alaska under AAC. In November 1957 the squadron moved to Minot AFB under ADC without personnel or equipment. Before receiving the proposed F-89Js, it was deactivated on 8 January 1958.

437th Fighter-Interceptor Squadron

The 437th FIS was activated at Otis AFB in November 1952 with F-94Cs. It was the first operational F-94C unit. In August 1955 the unit designation was transferred to Oxnard AFB and in March 1956 it transitioned into F-89Ds. The squadron received F-89Hs in July 1956 and F-89Js in March 1958. In January 1960 the squadron transitioned into F-101Bs. It was deactivated on 29 April 1968. In July 1968 the 456th FIS moved from Castle AFS to Oxnard AFB with F-106As and was redesignated the 437th FIS, only to be deactivated on 30 September 1968.

438th Fighter-Interceptor Squadron

The 438th FIS was activated at Kinross AFB (later named Kincheloe AFB) in April 1953 with F-94Bs. In the spring of 1954 it transitioned into F-89Ds and in the summer of 1957 into F-102As. In May 1960 it received F-106As. The squadron moved to Griffiss AFB in August 1968 and on 30 September 1968 was redesignated the 49th FIS.

440th Fighter-Interceptor Squadron

The 440th FIS was activated at Geiger Field in February 1953 with F-86Ds. It was soon transferred to USAFE on 31 May 1954.

444th Fighter-Interceptor Squadron

The 444th FIS was activated at Charleston AFB in February 1954 with F-86Ds. In the spring of 1957 it received F-86Ls and in the spring of 1960 F-101Bs. The squadron was deactivated on 30 September 1968.

445th Fighter-Interceptor Squadron

The 445th FIS was activated at Geiger Field in March 1953 with F-86Ds. The unit designation was transferred to an F-89D unit at Wurtsmith AFB in August 1955. Receiving F-89Hs in March of 1956, the 445th became the first squadron to fly this model aircraft. In the latter part of 1956, it transitioned into F-89Js and in December 1959 into F-101Bs. On 30 September 1968 the 445th was deactivated.

456th Fighter-Interceptor Squadron

The 456th FIS was activated at Truax Field in August 1954 with F-86Ds. In August of 1955 the unit was deactivated only to be reactivated again at Castle AFB in October 1955 with F-86Ds. In the fall of 1957 the unit transitioned into F-86Ls and in June 1958 into F-102As. In September 1959 it received F-106As. The squadron moved to Oxnard AFB on 18 July 1968 and was redesignated the 437th FIS.

460th Fighter-Interceptor Squadron

The 460th FIS was activated in March 1954 at McGhee Tyson Airport with F-86Ds. In August 1955 the unit designation was transferred to an F-89D squadron at Portland Airport. The squadron transitioned into F-102As in May 1958 and was deactivated in March 1966. In September 1968 the squadron was reactivated at Oxnard AFB with 437th FIS F-106s. The squadron moved to Kingsley Field in November 1969 and to Grand Forks AFB in April 1971. The 460th was deactivated on 15 July 1974.

465th Fighter-Interceptor Squadron

The 465th FIS was activated in February 1953 at McChord AFB with F-86Ds. It was deactivated in August 1955 but in October 1955 it was reactivated at Griffiss AFB with F-89Ds. It subsequently received F-89Hs in I956 and F-89Js in 1957. The unit designation was transferred to L.G. Hanscom Field in July 1959, replacing the 49th FIS which replaced the 465th at Griffiss. The squadron remained there flying F-89Js until deactivation on 15 March 1960.

469th Fighter-Interceptor Squadron

The 469th FIS was activated in December 1952 at McGhee Tyson Airport replacing the Tennessee ANG’s 105th FIS with F-47Ds and F-47Ns. In the spring of 1953 it transitioned into F-86As and a year later F-86Ds. The squadron was deactivated on 1 December 1957.

482d Fighter-Interceptor Squadron

The 482d FIS was activated in April 1956 at Seymour-Johnson AFB with F-102As. It remained there flying Deuces until deactivation on 1 October 1965.

484th Fighter-Interceptor Squadron

The 484th FIS was activated at K.I. Sawyer AFB in June 1956. It was scheduled to receive F-89Js however it was deactivated on 16 February 1959 before being equipped.

496th Fighter-Interceptor Squadron

The 496th FIS was activated in March 1953 at Hamilton AFB with F-51Ds. Later in the year it transitioned into F-86Ds and was transferred to USAFE on 31 May 1954.

497th Fighter-Interceptor Squadron

The 497th FIS was activated in February 1953 at Portland Airport with F-94As. In the spring of 1954 the squadron received F-89Ds. The unit designation was transferred in August 1955 to an F-86D squadron at Geiger Field and on 20 June 1958 it was transferred to USAFE.

498th Fighter-Interceptor Squadron

The 498th FIS was activated in August 1955 at Geiger Field with F-86D aircraft. In February 1957 it transitioned into F-102As and in May 1959 into F-106As. It was ADC’s first operational F-106A squadron. In July 1963 the squadron moved to McChord AFB followed by moves to Paine Field in June 1966 and Hamilton AFB in September 1968 where it was deactivated on 30 September 1968.

518th Fighter-Interceptor Squadron

The 518th FIS was activated at George AFB in January 1955 with F-86Ds. In August 1955 it was deactivated but in June 1956 it was reactivated at Klamath Falls Airport. The squadron was deactivated on 1 July 1959 never having been equipped.

519th Fighter-Interceptor Squadron

The 519th FIS was activated in December 1954 at Sioux City Airport with F-86Ds. Deactivation followed soon after on 18 August 1955.

520th Fighter-Interceptor Squadron

The 520th FIS was activated at Geiger Field in December 1954 with F-86Ds. Like the 519th FIS, it was deactivated on 18 August 1955.

538th Fighter-Interceptor Squadron

The 538th FIS was activated in August 1955 at Larson AFB with F-86Ds. It transitioned into F-86Ls in June 1957 and into F-104As in March 1958. The squadron was deactivated on 1 July 1960.

539th Fighter-Interceptor Squadron

The 539th FIS was activated in April 1954 at Stewart AFB with F-86Fs. In January 1955 it received F-86Ds and in August 1955 the unit designation was transferred to McGuire AFB where it received F-86Ls. In May 1959 the squadron transitioned into F-106As. It was deactivated on 1 June 1967.